Inis Cealtra Project Begins
The most significant tourism project ever to be undertaken in East Clare has moved a step closer, following the signing of a contract for the development of the Inis Cealtra (Holy Island) visitor centre in the heart of Mountshannon village.
Overlooking Mountshannon Harbour and Lough Derg, the Old Rectory is an historic period house dating from 1905 and is set to be repurposed and extended into a visitor and interpretative centre for Inis Cealtra.
Clare County Council has signed a contract with M. Fitzgibbon Contractors Ltd for the redevelopment of the visitor centre building, which, once completed in 2024, will comprise of a revitalised exhibition area that interprets local stories and the island of Inis Cealtra, a reception area, an upstairs café and rectory garden.
With links to the last High King of Ireland Brian Boru, Inis Cealtra is one of the most important historical and ecclesiastical sites in Ireland with additional links to other religious sites and heritage attractions such as Tuamgraney and Craggaunowen.