Chapter One is ‘Best Restaurant’
Chapter One by Mickael Viljanen was named "Ireland’s Best Restaurant for 2022" at the Irish Restaurant Awards.
The restaurant on Parnell Square in Dublin has been in the headlines for all the right reasons since it reopened just over a year ago, with the Finnish chef Mickael Viljanen taking over as chef-patron from Ross Lewis.
Almost 900 restaurant and hospitality business owners and staff attended the event.
Food outlets were nominated under the categories of Local Food Hero, Best Free From, Best Emerging Irish Cuisine, Best Restaurant Manager, Best Wine Experience, Best Café, Best World Cuisine, Best Newcomer, Pub of the Year, Best Casual Dining, Best Hotel & Guesthouse Restaurant, Best Customer Service, Best Gastropub, Best Chef, Best Restaurant, and finally, a new award category for 2022, Best Sustainable Practices.
The winners were:
- Best Cookery School, All Ireland - Aniar Restaurant & Boutique Cookery School
- Best Seafood Experience, All Ireland - Beach House, Tramore
- Best Cocktail Experience, All Ireland - Hilliards, Skirmantas “Mossy” Lelys
- Private Dining & Club, All Ireland - No 25 Fitzwilliam Place
- Best Digital Marketing, All Ireland - Michael’s, Mount Merrion
- Local Food Hero Sponsored by The Irish Times - Dublin Bread 41, Eoin Clusky
- Best Sustainable Practices Sponsored by Gas Networks Ireland, All Ireland - Grow HQ Waterford
- Best Free From Sponsored by Peroni Nastro Azzurro, All Ireland - Copia Green
- Best Emerging Irish Cuisine Sponsored by FBD, All Ireland - Old Couch Café
- Best Restaurant Manager Sponsored by AIB Merchant Services, All Ireland - Nightmarket, Conor Sexton
- Best Wine Experience Sponsored by Bibendum Ireland, All Ireland - Ely Wine Store, Maynooth
- Best Café Sponsored by Illy, All Ireland - Tiller + Grain
- Best World Cuisine Sponsored by San Pellegrino, All Ireland - Mezze, Tramore
- Best Newcomer Sponsored by Square, All Ireland - Orwell Road Restaurant
- Pub of the Year Sponsored by Jameson, All Ireland - The Sky & the Ground
- Best Casual Dining Sponsored by Musgrave Marketplace, All Ireland - Goldie, Cork City
- Best Hotel & Guesthouse Restaurant Sponsored By Frylite, All Ireland - Mount Juliet Estate, Thomastown
- Best Customer Service Restaurant Sponsored by Insurance.ie, provided by Dolmen, All Ireland - Uno Mas
- Best Gastro Pub Sponsored by Worldpay from FIS:
- Leinster: Butler and Barry Gastrobar
- Ulster: The Rusty Mackerel
- Munster: The Glenbeigh Hotel
- Connaught: Coyne’s Gastropub, Kilkieran
- Dublin: Davy Byrnes
- All Ireland: The Rusty Mackerel
- Best Chef Sponsored by BWG Foodservice, All Ireland - Dede, Ahmet Dede
- Best Restaurant Sponsored by Tindal Wine Merchants, All Ireland - Chapter One